What do we inherit?

We like to think we are self-made people, at least in my heart I know I do.  It is not my natural instinct to consider how much I am truly standing upon the shoulders of those that have come before me.  I can pull myself up by the bootstraps, after all.  Now, perseverance is a good thing.  God did not create us to bump up against challenges and lay down; the language concerning the war with sin in Scripture is fairly aggressive.  But God also did not create us to pridefully and ignorantly believe that our moment in time is all that matters and be oblivious to all the gifts we inherit.  It is quite easy for me to forget how much I am truly indebted to everyone else and I must respect their mark upon the world as much I desire to make mine.  Let me give you an example.

I think my nature leads me to dreaming big visions for the world.  There are at least 3 or 4 aspects of society that I am quite passionate about devoting my life to changing.  This is not a horrible thing, as long as my proposed changes are truly beneficial, but my way of going forward with these grand visions can be destructive.  You see, this is not just my world--obvious I know, but something I am quite good at forgetting.  One of my visions for the world is that the American economy would return to a point where multi-species family farms can survive economically.  I do not want us all to be self-reliant, but I do think quite a bit is lost when only 2% of the population farms and many of them only grow one or two species.  I know economically that 98% of the population being freed to pursue off-farm ventures should lead to more innovation, but I am not as attached to innovation as some folks.  If we had more small diverse farms we may, I believe, take care of our land a little bit better, families may be a little more close-knit, we may be a little more secure in our food supply, and we may be a little happier if we had at least 7 or 8% percent of our population working on these farms.  I know there are barriers to all of this happening--if there were not, then my vision would already be the case.  But I do think a big part of the solution is freeing up distribution channels for small local farmers and this is something that is within our power.

This all may sound well and good, but here is the part that I tend to forget.  I tend to forget that there are millions of people whose lives are thoroughly intertwined with the system in its current form.  I tend to forget that there are even more millions of people that were a part of building the current system, and the majority of these folks were probably well-intentioned.  I forget that I did not create the system so it is not mine to pull the strings of willy nilly.  I am not sure if I should feel guilty about all of this forgetfulness but I am sure that I should be on guard about it.  I think we all must be on guard about viewing ourselves as bigger than we really are.  There is quite a bit of "you can do anything you put your mind to" or "you can forge your own path" or "do not let anyone get in the way of your dream" rhetoric flying around, and I think it can be quite dangerous.  We cannot forget how small a part of humanity we as individuals are.  This does not mean we cannot do good things, but good things are going to happen by us using our abilities to best serve the world, not by setting out to turn the world upside down.  If we are setting out to turn the world upside down, we just may turn it upside for bad rather than good.

This can be depressing though.  It can be depressing to consciously think about how small your place in the world is.  The change the world rhetoric may be symptomatic of not wanting to think about how insignificant we really are in the big picture.  I believe the only way you can think peacefully about your minute position is by recognizing how cherished you are in the eyes of God.  No matter how mundane and small your work or contribution to the world seems, God knows the number of hairs on your head and does not expect you to start a country but does expect you to use the gifts He has given you as if you are using them for Him, because you are.  This is not self-help talk, this is cold hard truth.  Maybe you have never thought about how small you are--although you knew it--because you didn't have the truth to pull you back up out of the seemingly hopeless thought.  The truth is: God loves little tiny you.  The way forward is never ignoring the truth.  Once all the truth is realized, tremendous hope and wisdom is the reward.

I want to close with an exercise that is just as much for me as it is for any readers.  I am going to make a small list of the things I have inherited from the people before me and the God that is eternal.  This may be a good exercise for you as well.

1) A loving family
2) Citizenship in the most blessed country in the world
3) All of the laws of nature
4) A massive rock (earth) covered with water and vegetation flying through space among other masses that make it look like an ant
5) Knowledge about mathematics
6) Devices created from inanimate metals that can connect me to the rest of the world
7) A nation crazy about sports and entertainment
8) A book that is inspired by God Himself
9) Knowledge about the planting, harvesting, and cooking of plants
10) A world that is far too complex for me to fully understand


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m slowly reading through your blog posts. I enjoy your writing style.

    First, in regards to the war on sin, my absolute favorite sermon is How to Kill Sin by John Piper. I’ve easily listened to it over a hundred times. It’s definitely worth your time.

    Thanks for this post. It’s such a good reminder to remember that we are who we are because of God and the people that have touched our lives.

    The point that stood out to me the most about this post was the part about ambition. I feel like this is a common ailment for youth. I say that in jest. Of course there are personalities that continue it beyond their younger years, but for me, immaturity definitely played a part.

    I used to have huge dreams to change the world and/or make it big in the world. My dreams have shrunk down to a more realistic size these days. I can definitely relate to the urge and the disappointment and depression that followed from my inabilities to be the all-powerful human being.

    I feel like my blog is pretty boring because all I ever do is preach grace, grace, grace. Here again I feel the blessing of a great God! I no longer fret about my inabilities. Seeing as how He has told us to work with all of our “might” and to not “worry” then all we have to do is “trust and obey.” It now makes so much sense that “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me…For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
    It used to not make sense to me at all. Of course life is hard, and the Christian life even harder in some ways, but knowing that God is completely in control, completely loves and accepts us, makes everything we face worthwhile.

    Because of these truths we can be free to “work with all of our might” and not worry about the results because 1) He said to “be anxious for nothing, 2) God is in control: “That people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the Lord, and there is no other. I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things.” (Is. 45:6-7)

    Things I am grateful for:
    1) Salvation by grace alone through faith alone
    2) The bible
    3) Pastors that preach the truth unashamedly
    4) Evangelists
    5) Family/friends
    6) America
    7) My jobs
    8) Instructors/employers
    9) My car
    10) Entertainment/art/music

    Ok. So I cheated and doubled up on some of them. #sorrynotsorry #morethan10

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment